Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Tough time of year

This is one of my least and most favorite times of year. It is a bittersweet month. We have great things happening with our teens. They are involved in church ministry, they are involved in community service, they are growing in in so many ways (we just baptized 25 teens in water this past Friday night) and then it comes time to say good-bye to some of them. I am sad to see our current and former ministry grads head off to college. We have had so many adventures and laughs as well as shared tears and powerful times of ministry and experiencing God work. I am excited for them, because I know that God has new and greater things in store for them, but I will still miss them.

On the flip side, it is an exciting time, because I get to see the students who are still here step into new roles. Some are seeing their leadership opportunities and influence growing and others are finding chances to discover and hone new skills. To me that is the greatest joy in ministry-watching God do His thing in a group of teens.

This year is especially fun, because for the first time one of my own children is a part of PowerLine. Now I am not just dad, but also Youth Pastor . I don't know if I should feel old or just call myself "experienced" in Youth Ministry. Either way, there is nothing else I would rather be doing than serving right here where God has called me.

PB

No comments: