Friday, June 15, 2007

Fathers Day thoughts

Well
It is just about here-Fathers Day
And I just returned from visiting my father and mother in Massachusetts-oh how I hate that drive. It is just about all white knuckle driving with no breaks from traffic or congestion- there is never a chance to relax on the ride.
But it is always worth it to see my parents, my Mom is 86 and has been hospitalized with lung problems for more than a year. And my Dad who turned 94 in March is a real trooper. He misses my Mom not being home and he himself just came home last week from a hospital stay and nursing home stay after having fallen at home alone. It was great to see them and especially to spend time with my Dad. You see, now that I have been around for more than an half century I realize that I am my father's son. He has impacted who I have become. All of the good traits that he has have become mine and then anything that needed improvement has been handed to me by my Heavenly Father.
Anyways- my Dad has always been a hard worker and a good provider, loving his wife and his kids unconditionally, expecting very little in return. Born of immigrant parents from Italy he has done quite well. The photo above is from about 40 years ago when he had his own trash business. After he sold that he drove a truck for a local company retiring at around age 79 due to not being able to pass his drivers license eye exam. He then worked an inside job for another company retiring a second time at age 89.
Oh well- here's hoping the good genes have been handed down to yours truly.
Happy Fathers Day to all.
Pastor P

No comments: