Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Red Light Green Light


Today is the 8th day of the new year. I am happy to report that as of 7:11 this morning, I had only witnessed TWO "red-light-runners" in my immediate proximity on the roads of busy Newark. That changed abruptly at 7:15 am, when I was sitting at a red light at the corner of Elkton Road and Otts Chapel Road, waiting to turn left. Not one, but TWO cars ran their red lights in the opposite direction to me. It didn't affect me directly, as I was safely waiting for my light to turn green before proceeding with my turn, but it was disconcerting nonetheless.

Why is this something I even bring up?

Because as this year unfolds, and my daughter begins taking driving lessons in a few months, I am appalled by what she will be confronted with on our roads. Last year, I counted almost one "red-light-runner" EVERY SINGLE day! And again, that's just in my immediate proximity. I doubt that there are only 365 re-light-runners in all of Newark, and that this only happens when I'm stopped at my red lights!

So, as the year unfolds, I will be praying even more than ever. For "peace" in people's hearts and for a spirit of self-control, so that we can all be a little safer when we venture out!

Now this isn't all I'll be praying for, but it was on my mind this morning, and now it is here for all to see.

Oh, and hey, I challenge you all to start your own "Red-Light-Runners Log." Maybe we can do something more constructive with this information, than just gripe about it in a blog! What do you think?

Ms. Lucie

2 comments:

Onesimus3 said...

WOW!
I cannot believe that Ashleigh will start drivers ed this year. We will be praying for you!!!

Ms. Lucie said...

Yup, in a mere 8 months. My baby girl is growing up. LPH